Monday, October 13, 2014

Progress Book

Dear families, 

With the changes in our grading system this year across the building, I would like to simplify things a bit.
The students are completing and the teachers are recording more formative scores. These are things like homework, class work, and any kind of practice that guide our daily instruction. These scores are being recorded and tracked so you can see your child's progress; however, they do not actually go towards the grade card (only quizzes, tests, and projects go towards the grade card).


The issue I am running into when recording these scores is that not all the students may complete the same number of problems in an allotted time. For example: if I give the students 15 minutes to work on a page of practice problems, some may finish 6 problems while others may finish 11 problems. I can't record these in Progress Book as the same assignment because they are not out of the same number of points. 


So, what I am going to try is recording these scores in Progress Book using a 4-point scale.
4=90%-100%
3=80%-89%
2=70%-79%
1=60%-69%
0=0%-59%
This way I can record all the formative practice we do in class (regardless of how many problems each student finishes) so you can quickly and easily see on Progress Book how your child is doing. Both the students and I are also recording more specific data that we will show you during conferences.


Please email or call me with any questions.
Thanks for everything you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment